San Fernando Natural Reserve
The beautiful bay of San Fernando is located about 70 kms away of Nasca, at the shore of the Pacific Ocean, within the district of Marcona. This wonderful reserve shelters a great variety of sea birds and animals. Among the animals stand out the Humboldt penguins, sea otters and hundreds of sea lions that can be seen resting on the beach. As to the birds, it is very common to see Condors, Boobies, Cormorants, Pelicans, Inca Terns and many others species. In addition to wildlife, visitors may also enjoy the unique natural beauty that stretches from beach to beach for many kilometers, offering different views of the bay as well as a peaceful atmosphere. The desert overlooking San Fernando is also home to the Guanacos, an endangered species.
Why book this Tour:
- Enjoy a unique ecosystem in the world accompanied by the amazing landscape that only this land offers you.
Price: $170.00 Per person
NOTE: A minimum of 3 participants are required for this tour. This tour offers you greater convenience and flexibility of time.
Our excursion to the Marine Reserve of San Fernando starts at 08:30 h. Our clients are collected from their hotel in Nazca and then start an adventure journey towards the shores of the Pacific Ocean. The expedition is done with a 4x4 ore Buggy and is accompanied by a naturalist guide who will teach you about the unique geology and fauna of San Fernando. Along the way visitors will enjoy a unique landscape on the desert, a place so desolate that could well be the surface of Mars, so dry and lifeless. After approximately 2 hours, we will be descending to the shores of the Pacific Ocean and suddenly San Fernando will appear like a marine paradise in front of us. At the point called El Mirador, we will stop for some panoramic pictures and afterwards we will descend on foot towards the bay. Here our naturalist guide will take us to explore every corner of this bay. We will start off with the lookout point of sea lions, a perfect spot to observe groups of sea lions resting on the small rocky islands, just a few meters away from us.
Afterwards we will walk across a rocky beach towards a natural Island from where it is possible to observe many types of birds, such as cormorants, pelicans, oysters catchers, seagulls and the mighty Condor !!!. This natural Island has the shape of a big platform, and offers great views of the Bay, an amazing natural beauty, as well as wonderful rock formations where many birds make their nests. There will be time enough for each visitor to walk around and to explore the Island on their own. Our guide will show you certain places where you can see Humboldt Penguins, and other rare seen species.
After a complete exploration of the Island, we will return to the beach to have lunch, and if you wish, you can swim in the cold waters of San Fernando.
To finish off this great adventure, we will drive towards the other side of the bay, where we will visit the home of hundreds of sea lions resting along the beach. The view from this point is awesome, it is actually the best way to say good bye to this marvelous place.
We will return to Nazca around 4:00 pm
End of the tour.
- Pick up from your hotel in Nazca.
- A 4x4 or Buggy wheel drives machine transportation.
- Professional English speaking guide.
- Box lunch and drinks.
- Extras & gratuities.
- Accommodation in Nazca.
You need to bring:
- Since the bay of San Fernando is located between the desert and the sea, we suggest to bring some light clothing for the morning activities and some warm jacket or wind breaker for the afternoon.
- 7 hours approximately.
- On this tour you must bring light clothing, as the weather in Nazca used to be very hot, especially in summer time (from December to March) when temperatures can reach 40º C / 104 ºF sometimes.
- We suggest to bring sun block to avoid sun burning, a hat, a bottle of water and sun glasses.
- All your personal information is required at the moment of your booking.
- All tours are operated in English.
- Wear neutral clothes. type beige, lead, brown or white
- Do not wear clothing or brightly colored objects.
- Dress comfortable that protects you from sun and wind.